Hey! I’m Sarah and I’m the Operations Manager for STIK. I started working for STIK full time just after I graduated from Boston College last May. How did I get so lucky to, right out of college, work at arguably the coolest company in Boston, with the most inspiring boss, and now with this kickass team?! A little less than two years ago, I wrote this absurd email to Christina asking to intern for her and, for some reason, she bought it and hired me! I worked part-time at STIK during my senior year at BC and was very grateful when Christina offered me a full-time position as a Marketing and Operations manager. I worked on a few marketing projects throughout the summer and fall and recently transitioned into a more Operations-focused role. As for my daily routine, I’m a shambly 22 year old who’s “living her best life” and I try to cram as many fun things into my week as possible. This means my routine is all over the place and, at this point in my life, I love it that way.
I’m reeeaallly bad at waking up (shoutout to my college roommate who, every single morning, for four years listened to my alarm go off over and over and over). Depending on when I want to arrive at work, I set my first alarm for around 7 or 7:30 and then snooze approx 10 alarms until I get out of bed around 8:30. Even if I want to be at work by 8, it’s the same hour long process.
- A few times per week my roommate and I go to spin class at 6 or 7am at The Handle Bar or Turnstyle. On those days, she wakes me up, I roll out of bed, we show up riiight on time, and we ~leave it all on the bike~. These are usually my most productive and happy days!
Because I like to sleep for as long as possible, I spend minimal time getting ready and it’s a very simple process.
- I brush my teeth, put my contacts in, and assess my hair situation.
- I’ve been straightening my hair pretty much every day for the past 5 years so that’s usually the answer to my hair situation
- I spritz my face with my fancy vitamin-c ultra-hydrating avocado….siiike! All my makeup products can be purchased at CVS and I’m generally 60% sure how to use them. At least I look better than when I woke up...
- Thanks to STIK’s dress code, which is: “wear whatever the heck you want,” getting dressed is the easiest part of my day. Step 1: grab a pair of jeans that pass for clean, Step 2: grab a different sweater than the one I wore yesterday
Breakfast + Commute
If I’m lucky, breakfast is a piece of fruit or granola bar when I get to the office. I’ve been trying to make my coffee at home because #resolutions, but most days I have a bad habit of stopping at Starbucks on the way to work. I live in Cambridge, so I just drive 10 minutes to work. All about that 10 minute commute in the comfort of my car :)
How I Spend my Days in the ~Studio~
I get to work anytime between 8:15 and 9:15 and usually spend the first few minutes tidying up the office--organizing, cleaning, taking the trash out, etc. When I sit down at my desk, I address anything on my to-do list from the day before, I answer customer emails, and do other light catching up before jumping into my own projects for the day. After that, I pretty much work on about 20 things at once for the whole day until it’s alll done. It’s just the way my brain works? I’ll be in the middle of one task and I jump to the next and the next and then come back to one then the other and somehow, by the end of the day, it all gets done. These tasks could be quite literally anything and no day looks the same, but here are some examples:
- Logistical tasks like booking a courier service or scheduling a shipment
- Ordering anything that needs to be ordered--from paper clips to marketing materials to storage shelving
- Finding operational solutions--as we keep growing, it’s becoming more important to make our systems efficient and comprehensive
- Chatting with my girl, Andrea, in Peru about new product development, current order statuses, quality concerns, etc.
- Managing inventory in-house and in collaboration with our team in Peru
- Touching base with Give-a-Sh*t partners, coordinating all things Give-a-Sh*t
- Packing orders and answering customer emails and inquiries
- Designing and ordering marketing materials or packaging
Lunch is usually a really lame yogurt and snack, but I have been trying to be better about getting out of the office in the middle of the day to refresh my brain a bit. I end my day tidying up again, maybe packing some orders, and making sure all orders that were packed that day get down to where they’re picked up. I usually leave anywhere between 5:30 and 6:30.
Sometimes I’ll go for a post-work Homegoods stroll because it’s a dangerous ~100 yards from our office, but if not I’ll head home, plop myself on my couch or bed and scroll on my phone for some “me time.” If I didn’t go to spin the morning, I’ll probably go to spin or do some kind of work out class when I get home.
I’ve been trying to cook more recently….. I’m *almost* worse at cooking than waking up. If I do cook, my menu consists of:
- Chickpea pasta--LOVE Banza and red sauce or Wegman’s pesto
- Zoodles (zucchini noodles) or butternut squash noodles with whatever vegetables I have and red sauce or Wegman’s pesto
- Two rice cakes with almond butter and an apple (very advanced)
- Teriyaki chicken and veggies (a NEW addition!)
- Fajitas (my roommate and I LOVE making fajitas)
A few nights per week I get dinner or a drink with friends. Some of my favorite spots recently have been:
- Lulu’s Allston - chill spot for games or grabbing a drink + a small bite
- Saloniki Greek - for a fast-casual, flavorful greek fix
- Brick & Mortar - a super cool speakeasy in Central Square
- Sulmona - they have THE BEST cocktail called American Pi
- Lamplighter Brewing - Trivia with the Harvard + MIT nerds on Tuesdays!
My roommates and I will usually do something together! Here’s some fun stuff we do:
- Sit on the same couch while we scroll on our phones and send Patriots/Bachelor/Cardi B/Lady Gaga memes to each other
- Bake cookies with our friends who live down the street
- Watch the Bachelor or a movie
I head up to bed around 11 or 12. Maybe that’s why I have problems waking up?? My bedtime routine is just as simple as my morning routine--I wash my face if I didn’t shower, brush teeth, take contacts out, aaaand that’s it. If I get into bed early enough, I’ll watch a show or movie--most recently:
- Friends from College - honestly, kinda stresses me out, but I'm kinda addicted
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - looove watching this mad woman
- RBG - Ruth Bader Ginsburg is my new hero
- The Office - default when I can't make a decision about what to watch
- Birdbox - this movie is crazytown
So I guess my routine is not as shambly or fun as I thought? Sorry if I disappointed you with my simple life!