Every year, when October rolls around, the STIK team gets a little pep in their step. To us, October means beanie season is getting closer, holiday gifting season is upon us, and it’s Runway for Recovery month.
For those who aren’t familiar with this amazing organization, Runway for Recovery is a Boston-based non-profit dedicated to supporting the families of those affected by breast cancer. Each year, Runway for Recovery hosts an iconic fashion show event in the heart of Boston that celebrates those who are fighting, remembers those who have passed, and inspires guests to support those who will be touched by breast cancer. The models in the show are all women (and men) who have been affected by breast cancer in some way - and let’s just say, it is every bit as emotional as it is inspirational. The money raised by the organization goes to wrap-around services for families dealing with the loss of a parent losing a to breast cancer.
For the last five years, Sh*t That I Knit has been a featured vendor at Runway - we bring all of our products for guests to purchase, and we donate 40% of all proceeds to Runway. We love this event for so many reasons - here are a few:
- We’re able to support a dear friend and mentor, Olivia Boger, the founder and executive director of Runway. Olivia coached Christina and I on our high school field hockey team, and she started the organization when we were seniors in honor of her mom who passed away from breast cancer. To be able to support her organization is truly an honor
- The event is an amazing celebration of so many women, men, kids, friends, and families who have battled against breast cancer. Watching each model dance down the runway after everything they’ve been through gives every guest chills - it’s truly inspiring
- Runway is a different kind of breast cancer organization. The money raised goes to families as they deal with the loss of a parent to breast cancer. Sh*t That I Knit is a business that believes in giving back in whatever way we can - and with Runway, we know that these deserving families will receive funds directly from the organization
So this Friday, October 25th, we’ll be back at the Park Plaza in Boston to celebrate the models and their stories. And as we do every year, we’ll be donating 40% of our proceeds from the event to Runway.
In a fun twist to this year’s sold out show, we’re also giving away TWO second row seats. Want to attend? Here’s what you need to do:
- Read this blog post (Yay - you did this already!)
- Follow @shitthatiknit and @runwayforrecovery on Instagram
That's it! So easy, right? Good luck - we'll announce a winner on Thursday October 24th. Happy Runway Week