Hello summer, hellooooo fresh, juicy berries!! I absolutely LOVE berries, and eat them pretty much every day. Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries - I do not discriminate! We’re in prime berry season right now, so it’s the perfect time to experiment and use those berries for something other than your basic fruit salad. Admittedly, a bowl of berries with cinnamon on top is the extent of my berry creativity in the kitchen right now...clearly, I’m in need of some inspiration. So if you’re like me, and are looking for ways to incorporate berries into your daily meals in fresh but still delicious ways, look no further. Grab your farmers market berries and head to the kitchen - we’ve got you covered with a roundup of berry-focused recipes for any time of day!
1. Sweet and Savory Blueberry Omelet. Have you ever put berries in your eggs? Probably not. But I think it’s worth trying this sweet and savory take on the traditional omelet. All you need is a few ingredients, which is essential if you’re going to venture from your regular savory egg breakfast.
2. Raspberry Oatmeal Muffins. Next time you’re in need of a quick breakfast, remember these raspberry oatmeal cups. Not only can you make them ahead of time to grab on your way out the door, they’re also a nutritious option thanks to the berries, oats, and greek yogurt. You could slather on some almond butter for extra staying power, or attempt your own homemade strawberry chia jam to take your berry game one step further.
1. Blueberry Basil Grilled Cheese. If this grilled cheese doesn’t make your mouth water, I don’t know what will! The combo of blueberries and goat cheese, on grilled bread with a drizzle of honey sounds incredible. I’m typically a “stick to the basics” kind of gal when it comes to sandwiches, but I know I’ll have to test this one out in the near future.
2. Blackberry Salad with Basil Pesto Vinaigrette. This is exactly what a summer salad should be - simple, light, refreshing. Plus, anything with pesto on it is bound to be delicious.
1. Wild rice salad with corn, blueberries, and almonds. Pair this rice salad with some fish or chicken and you have your next dinner figured out (or, bring this as a side dish to your upcoming gathering and impress everyone with your cooking skills). The nuttiness of the rice, the tanginess of the vinaigrette, the sweetness of the berries - you really can’t go wrong with this salad!
2. Grilled salmon with a strawberry balsamic reduction. I’m always looking for ways to spice up my salmon (I rarely venture from my go-to mustard dill sauce or everything bagel seasoning, both delicious). This strawberry balsamic glaze is unusual but sounds tasty, so I’m going to take my chances on this one! Any recipe with the word “reduction” naturally intimidates me but the recipe breaks it down into a few easy steps. Even better, you can also make the glaze ahead of time, so on busy weeknights, all you have to do is put the salmon on the grill (or oven) and you’re good to go.
1. Fresh Blueberry Pie. I couldn’t not include blueberry pie here. Blueberry pie IS summer in dessert form. I mean, a thin, flaky crust with tart blueberries has to be one of the best combinations out there. I firmly believe that every fruit-based pie needs vanilla ice on top (my personal favorite is FoMu’s Vanilla Bean), so make sure your freezer is stocked!
What are your favorite berry recipes? Let us know in the comments!